Army Tattoo Policy – The Tattoo Policy has been revised recently and the new Policy will be implemented with effect from 11 May 2015. Some of the salient aspects are given in succeeding Paragraphs.
Army Tattoo Policy for All Candidates
Army Tattoo Policy – Permanent body tattoos are permitted on the following body parts only, for
which a candidate will be required to sign a Self Certification Certificate as per format
at Appendix ‘D’:-
- The inner face of forearms i.e. from inside of the elbow to the wrist of both the hands (the area between 1-2 and 3 in picture affixed) Note- Area between 4, 5, 6 is not permitted.
- The reverse side of the palm/back (dorsal) side of both hands (the area between 2 and 3 in picture affixed).
- Though no restriction on size or type of tattoo has been specified, tattoos are only permitted on body parts as given in Paragraphs 2 and 4 above.
- Only small innocuous tattoos, that are not prejudicial to good order and military discipline are permitted e.g. religious symbols or names of near and dear ones etc.
- Tattoos on any other part of the body (fewer Paragraphs 2 and 4 above).
- A tattoo with lewd or offensive content or indecent figures.
- Tattoos that are indecent, sexist or racist, explained as follows:-
i. Indecent tattoos are those that are grossly offensive to modesty, decency or propriety.
ii. Sexist tattoos are those that advocate a philosophy that demeans a person based on gender.
iii. Racist tattoos advocate a philosophy that degrades or demeans a person based on race, ethnicity or region and religion.
Army Tattoo Policy for Tribal Communities
Army Tattoo Policy – Candidates belonging to tribal communities/from tribal areas, as declared by the Government of India Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes Orders Act/Lists (amended and modified from time to time),
are permitted to have permanent body tattoos on any part of the body, as per existing customs and traditions of the said tribe to which a candidate belongs.
Such candidates will only be permitted to continue with the selection process in an SSB on the condition that the following certificates are submitted by the can
(a) Self Certification Certificate as per Appendix ‘A’, to be signed by the candidate.
(b) Certificate of belonging to a tribal community and permissibility of permanent body tattoo(s) as per format at Appendix ‘B’, to be signed by one of the following two officials:-
(i) DC/DM or SDM of the District/Tehsil where the tribe of the candidate is presently settled (Name and designation of the concerned official must be clearly mentioned).
(ii) Chairman/Secretary or any other senior member of the Tribe (Name, designation (if any) and address of the concerned member will be clearly mentioned).